Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reflective Essay 2

My competencies in reading and writing that I have acquired through ENGLCOM are comprehension and grammar. I have learned a lot from this course. The exercises, activities and essays that we had to do helped me improve in my reading and writing skills. I have learned that there are four reading skills and that helped me a lot when I research, when look for something important or when I read a book. During the first half of the term, we did a lot of readings. We read as a class. Exercises were given to us so that we can apply what we have learned. Through this, I have developed critical reading and creative reading. I was able to analyze the texts well, not just reading alone without understanding.

During the second half, we were required to write essays: four minor essays and two major essays. There were times that we complained about the number of pages that we should do. But at the end of the day, we realize that the number of pages that were required to do was just right. There was a time when I almost went beyond the number or pages required. Although writing essays needs a lot of work, I still believe that this is the one that had helped me a lot in the course because practice makes perfect and I believe that I have improved from the very first essay to the last. The essays that we do were edited by a partner and a professor. They evaluated our essays so that we would know if our essay is good or not. I learned how to construct stronger thesis statements. I have also learned APA in text citation. Before, I do not know how to cite my references. I just copy and paste it. I did not realize that what I was doing was already plagiarism. Because of this course, I have learned also to cite my references to respect other people’s work. I was able to meet my expectations in this course. There were a lot of paper works, but it was worth it. Writing essays have helped me a lot in improving on the areas I had to work on before which was comprehension, grammar and vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment